Monday, January 23, 2012

Chili for a Cold Winter Day

A writer friend was looking for a chili recipe, and I offered to post my favorite. I devised this through trial and error, and you can easily adjust it to your tastes. This recipe is fairly hot, so if you prefer mild, you may want to leave out the cayenne pepper. Kidney beans can be substituted for pinto. A cup of frozen corn can be added. The possibilities are endless. Enjoy!


  
1 lb. ground beef
1 medium onion chopped
3 garlic cloves minced
2  15 oz. cans pinto beans rinsed and drained
1  15 oz. can tomato puree
1  15 oz. can diced tomatoes
1  4 oz. can diced green chilies
2 Tbsp. chili powder
½ tsp. cumin
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste
Cheddar cheese

Brown ground beef in large pot, draining any grease. Add onion and garlic and cook until soft. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a simmer and cook over low heat for approximately 3 hours, stirring occasionally. Chili can also be prepared and then cooked in a slow cooker on low for 8-9 hours. Top with grated cheddar cheese. Serves 6

4 comments:

Regina Duke said...

Love the recipe! And I love the Ginger's World blogs too. I am just getting started with my own. Oooo, I love all your covers on the sidebar! I'll have to try that!

Regina / Linda

Jannine Gallant said...

I'm going to try to post recipes every Monday, Regina, so stay tuned!

Jana Richards said...

I love chili and we eat it a lot in the winter. This looks like a good recipe and I like that it can be played with and made my own.

Thanks!
Jana

Jannine Gallant said...

Jana, I actually got the precursor to this recipe from a college friend a million years ago. I kept tweeking it until I got it the way I liked it. That's the beauty of dishes like chili - they have endless potential.